Wednesday Morning Musings
I have been working like a donkey for the past few days and strangely time seems to be going quickly. I guess it's good that the India - Sri Lanka match was pretty much rained off as I didn't miss much anyway.
Anyway, I've got a few moments to post what is only my second posting on this blog - I know I've been slack. Hong Kong is very cold right now. By that I mean that it is getting down to about 12 degrees celsius, which may not sound cold but is freezing when no flat has central (or any) heating. In some ways it's good because I get to make use of my overcoat which otherwise languishes in my office wishing it were used more. It also gives us good practice for our trip to NY this Christmas, where it is going to be much much colder. Not having been in temperatures less than about 10 degrees for some time now, that is going to be a shock!
My brother is getting married on New Year's Eve and that is the one shining light at the end of the tunnel after a frankly crappy year. Actually, the beginning of the year wasn't that bad. In March, Shadi and I went to a friend's wedding (Pete and Anabel Kettle) in South Africa. That was amazing - they had it in a safari in Ulusaba which, as you'll see from the website is simply superb- of course much better in real life... In fact, I think that was probably the highlight of the year for us, cos it went steadily downhill after that.
My father passed away on 21 August this year after two years of fighting against acute myeloid leukemia. It is difficult to put down in words how traumatic this year has been and especially in the months before he passed. But now, more than 3 months later, the lingering thoughts are not of dad in hospital, with tubes and wires and various machines hooked up to him, but rather of all the times we enjoyed life with him - and there were many. My brother sent round this article which I thought really hit the nail on the head about how it feels to lose someone so important to you.
Right now, I am just counting down the days until 2006 starts and am looking to assign this year to the dustbin and re-start. As a perfect metaphor, my brother is getting married on new year's eve, which while technically still in 2005 is as near enough to a fresh start as you can get. It is my brother's second wedding so it is a fresh start in more ways than one. His fiancee is absolutely lovely and brings with her a great family so things are starting to look up already.
It will be second multicultural marriage in our family, he Hindu, she Catholic - the first being mine, me Hindu, she (technically) muslim (or as she likes to say "mueslis").
Anyway, I've got a few moments to post what is only my second posting on this blog - I know I've been slack. Hong Kong is very cold right now. By that I mean that it is getting down to about 12 degrees celsius, which may not sound cold but is freezing when no flat has central (or any) heating. In some ways it's good because I get to make use of my overcoat which otherwise languishes in my office wishing it were used more. It also gives us good practice for our trip to NY this Christmas, where it is going to be much much colder. Not having been in temperatures less than about 10 degrees for some time now, that is going to be a shock!
My brother is getting married on New Year's Eve and that is the one shining light at the end of the tunnel after a frankly crappy year. Actually, the beginning of the year wasn't that bad. In March, Shadi and I went to a friend's wedding (Pete and Anabel Kettle) in South Africa. That was amazing - they had it in a safari in Ulusaba which, as you'll see from the website is simply superb- of course much better in real life... In fact, I think that was probably the highlight of the year for us, cos it went steadily downhill after that.
My father passed away on 21 August this year after two years of fighting against acute myeloid leukemia. It is difficult to put down in words how traumatic this year has been and especially in the months before he passed. But now, more than 3 months later, the lingering thoughts are not of dad in hospital, with tubes and wires and various machines hooked up to him, but rather of all the times we enjoyed life with him - and there were many. My brother sent round this article which I thought really hit the nail on the head about how it feels to lose someone so important to you.
Right now, I am just counting down the days until 2006 starts and am looking to assign this year to the dustbin and re-start. As a perfect metaphor, my brother is getting married on new year's eve, which while technically still in 2005 is as near enough to a fresh start as you can get. It is my brother's second wedding so it is a fresh start in more ways than one. His fiancee is absolutely lovely and brings with her a great family so things are starting to look up already.
It will be second multicultural marriage in our family, he Hindu, she Catholic - the first being mine, me Hindu, she (technically) muslim (or as she likes to say "mueslis").

1 Comments:
Hey Bobby B,
Sounds like lots on hand in the coming month(s). Sorry can't make it to the wedding.
Hope everything goes fine, and yea, will try to e-mail you soon.
Take care,
Neeraj.
Post a Comment
<< Home