Wimbledon is Coming!!
I remember growing up and always knowing when Wimbledon would be starting because the TV would invariably have these documentaries on past Wimbledons, the highlights etc. It doesn't change even in Hong Kong. To finally prove that flicking the channels does work, I came across one of those Wimbledon documentaries this evening on HK telly and it made me think about the debates which Manu and Sandy have been having, in a very dorky sort of way, about tennis and whether the players now are as good as they were. When I think about tennis and Wimbledon I think about Borg and McEnroe sort of automaticallly, but this documentary went through every year from Becker's first win when he was 17 and it reminded me that the matches after Borg and McEnroe were just as exciting if not more. Becker's first win, I remember hearing the end of it on the radio in the car and pretending to be Becker every time I played a game of tennis (even with my weak-ass second serve) - everyone wanted to be Becker then. Then they went on to Sampras and countless titles he won - in particular Sampras v Agassi- I think 1998 but not too sure - where Sampras wiped the floor with Agassi, who was at that time the French and Australian Open championship. Agassi said later: "I remember walking onto the Court and remember walking off but nothing in between". And then Ivanisevic v Rafter which I watched (it must have been played on the Monday afterwards) at the A&O bar ducking down every fifteen minutes from work to keep up. By the end the Australian contingent were very disappointed.
Anyway the point was that sport has always been and always will be most interesting when it involves passion and excitement which will always be there.
Roll on the grass!
Anyway the point was that sport has always been and always will be most interesting when it involves passion and excitement which will always be there.
Roll on the grass!

9 Comments:
Should i wait for Manu to go first...?
Oh Fragrant one, whats this about coming back to london next year? Care to elaborate offline senorita?
Hell-O! Does Sandeep speak the truth?
Pooja, i listened to your french song. Nice, and if you're partial to a bit of that sort of thing, you should try Serge Gainsbourg;s L'Histoire de Melody Nelson.....quite cool, in a 60's beatnik paris kind of way.....isn;t YouTube the best thing?
Pooja, most times Sandeep does tell the truth and in this case also. Am leaving A&O Hong Kong on 15 December and starting in A&O London on 2 January - got a nice two week gap over Xmas before I start back in London for the move etc.
Sand - your predictions on the second round of the WC? I am going to watch Germany Sweden tonight I think but the Argentina Mexico game is on at 3 am so maybe I'll give that a miss - I think that France v Spain will also be good no? Will England beat Ecuador?
well this simply splendid news, and where prey tell shall you be residing upon your immediate arrival?
As for the World Cup, i see Germany beating Sweden, who arent that strong. Argentina should also happily take care of the Mexicans, who dont pose enough of a goal threar.
Nice to see Brazil get going at last.
Oh yes, England will no doubt labour against Ecaudor, who can pass the ball around quite nicely. If it goes into overtime we may struggle, as Rooney is not fit enough to last 2 hrs.
Spain have been very good so far, not perfect and France may put up a stout fight. Close, but i hope Spain win through, the winner to face Argentina.
Glad to see your participating.
To Manoj....did you see Pat Cash's article in the sunday times?? It was another grumble aboiut the lack oif serve and volleyers at Wimbledon this year (and the last few)...
Whilts i understand that its a bit of a shame from the point of view of variety, i cannot but think of the monotony that another group of top rate serve and volleyers would produce.
It seems to me that while he makes a perfectly valid point re variety, he (a) goes too far (anyone remember Sampras vs Krajicek?? thought not) and (b) his artciles reflect more a personal defense of his particular palce in tennis history
anyway, my two cents...
Sandy,
Give us the link to that article if you can - I can't find it.
And yes, Manu did read it and spoke to me about it at length over the phone - he is in Bosnia for work at the moment which might explain his silence on this very critical topic...
Post a Comment
<< Home