Sunday, December 18, 2005

I predict a riot!

Ok, continuing on the musical theme (look it up!) following on from my earlier post regarding the fact that HK hadn't seen any riots for about 30 years, last night did indeed see the first riots for 30 years. Police used tear gas on supporters who, in true HK irony, were protected by the face masks which are left over from SARS.

Even odder than the riots was the sight of a number of grungy hippies walking around in the early evening - at university we would affectionately laugh at the "dog on a string" people hanging around Camden market and tube station who were not dissimilar in appearance. Usually the crowds in HK are pretty well dressed (especially in the Central/Wanchai district which is quite affluent and full of designer stores). Yesterday, I wanted to go to Wanchai to see the demonstrations but couldn't actually get there since it was closed off and the MTR (tube) stations were closed. I ended up walking from Admiralty back home and it quite surreal walking across the flyovers and highways which were absolutely clear of traffic save for police cars and trains of diplomats' limousines.

Stranger still was the Xmas square which has been installed in the square next to the Mandarin Oriental - you could almost hear the demonstrations from Wanchai in the background until they were drowned out by piped xmas music blasting out of the square. No-one was there of course, since everyone had been told to evacuate so it was kind of like xmas in a ghost town.

Central Hong Kong late last night (after everyone was evacuated) was absolutely silent without traffic or people - it was a weird but quite beautiful sight in its own way.

Only regret is that I didn't have a camera but I will try to dig up some pictures for later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I predict a riot..."
this is what I say when Sachin is about to go #2 in his diaper. I then quickly leave the room, leaving Salil to don his riot gear, probably not dissimilar to the HK masks, and deal with it.
Cute song, though.
See you next week in NY.
-Anju

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home