Saturday, July 08, 2006

Konnichiwa

Shadi and I slipped off to Tokyo this weekend. We are staying in Shinjuku, supposedly home to the busiest train station in the world. There are absolutely tonnes of people here but strangely it doesn't feel crowded - maybe that's because we've hardly travelled at rush hour. It's quite different from what I remembered of it last time I was here which was as a wee 18 year old with Sunil. First, I have some money this time, which means we can do the luxurious things, like eating at restaurants that don't have the word "McDonald's" in them. Tonight, Shadi and I are going to eat "Kaiseki" in a restaurant up in the hills. Kaiseki is a very traditional Japanese meal with, apparently, exquisitely made courses - apparently there are about 15 of them - each served in individually designed crockery. It is very expensive - about US$150 each - but I'm told absolutely worth it. That, by the way, was approximately the budget that Sunil and I had for a week here - room, food and sightseeing!

Anyway, here are some photos of where we have been the past two days.

Man Cutting Maguro Tuna

Geishas waving fans

Shadi (and coffee) in front of Senso-Ji Shrine

The Senso-Ji Shrine, one of the most famous and important Shinto shrines in Tokyo

having some trouble with some other pictures so will try later.

As they say here - arigato - sayonara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home